Recommended Reading: 10 Time-Consuming Tasks Security People Hate
Every once in a while you run into an article that stands the test of time. Despite the rapid advance of technology, individual organizations are often slow to change. This article shares 10 Time-Consuming Tasks Security People Hate, which are likely still happening to most of us.
Highlights from the list include:
- For the CISO: Risk reporting and documentation
- For the SOC Analyst: Manual correlation
- For the Incident Responder: Dealing with false positives
- For the Penetration Tester: Cracking passwords
- For the Security Engineer: Backup validation
- For the Security Administrator: Patching software
- For the Security Researcher: Maintaining server infrastructure (on your test bench)
- For the App Developer: Threat modeling and setting requirements
- For the Network Forensics Analyst: Querying traffic data
- For pretty much EVERYONE: Being audited
And I would add #11 for the Vulnerability Admin: Getting the organization to patch their systems (it’s got elements of #2, #3, #6, and #7 above all wrapped up into it, so it’s sort of an Uber-task)!
What task do you think needs to be added to this list? Let us know!